Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tortellini Sunrise

This is mostly for my mom and sisters but feel free to make it yourself. It's a recipe for a delicious pasta dish from Vito's in Mesa. Every time we go there, us girls usually all order the same thing, tortellini sunrise.

For the pasta, I usually buy the tortellini from Costco but tonight I made it with their spinach ravioli and it was just as good if not better. It is really easy to make too, you just make a bechamel sauce and then add a little marinara sauce to it. Here are the instructions:

I usually start boiling the water for the pasta first then add the pasta in while I'm making the sauce.

For the sauce:
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan on medium/low heat. Once it has melted, whisk in 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and wisk until all the lumps are gone. Then slowly whisk in one cup of milk. I usually add a little garlic too; either garlic salt with the butter or I let a clove or two of smashed garlic sit in the milk in the fridge (about an hour) before I add the milk. Lower heat slightly and keep whisking until the sauce thickens. Once the sauce has thickened, add about 1/2 cup of any kind of marinara sauce you'd like. I kinda just eyeball it, the sauce should be orange-ish (like kraft mac & cheese) not pink. Then I just keep whisking until the pasta is done cooking and then put the pasta in a couple of bowls and ladle the sauce over it. This makes enough for Ryan and I plus leftovers for Ryan's lunch the next day.

Sorry I don't have a picture to add, but it's yummy!

5 comments:

TJ and Jen Sherwood said...

That sounds yummy. I will have to try it cause TJ loves tortallini! yum yum!

Caton said...

yum i am going to make that! I love Vitos!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston Paynes said...

YAY !!! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to make it... sounds so yummy especially because I know I can't get the stuff here.

Mrs. McCarthy said...

that sounds good! I'll make it for the BF. Miss you Karlee. we REALLY should catch up!!

Randee Mecham said...

I am always looking for recipes that someone else has already tried out. I am excited to make this! Thanks!